Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Unwelcome May Visitors

May marked our first month in the new house. I don't remember a lot about then, but here's a few highlights that were hard to forget.

This was the week the South had that splendid little cool snap where you could leave your windows open and let the breezes flow through. That's exactly what I did as unpacked box after box with the doors wide open. It was nice not to have to worry about insects flying into the house because we have the screened in porch.

What I should have been worried about were snakes! Two of them to be exact. It was mating season after all.

Thankfully, it was B who saw them before me. I promptly shut the doors and sent him to let them know our warm pool deck was not welcoming visitors of their kind and to "shoo" them back into the woods.

They wanted nothing to do with being shooed anywhere and retaliated by being defensive and striking back at B.

So, it was OFF WITH THEIR HEADS



Turns out they were black racer snakes...look it up. They are the "good" snakes you want in your yard b/c they keep the poisonous ones away. But, we didn't know that, they wouldn't go, so now they're raccoon food.

At the end of the day, there was one Mother's Day pic, although I took it myself, and Lise' was not present. Maybe next year.

No comments: