Friday, October 3, 2008

Are we too old for Facebook

Recently a group of 30+ moms and I were talking about Facebook. 6 months ago, I had no intention of ever entering the site. I had my email, and blog, and that was just fine. Why did I need to do Facebook too? Over time, I was forced into signing up for the site to view some pictures posted by a friend of ours. I did it, looked at the pictures and forgot about it. Then, I received a request to be a friend...from my father-in-law. Surely, if he was doing it, so could I. I had to figure this thing out. Then, I received another invite from my high school class to be a part of their group. I joined them, and I haven't looked back.

To those of you not familiar with the concept, Facebook is a social networking tool. You go in and register giving as much info as you deem necessary. Then, people can look you up. They can't see anything other than your name and hometown (if you choose), and then in order to view the rest of your information and pictures, they have to request to be your friend. Once you're friends, you can send messages back and forth like email and they can post little notes about what they are doing (think email and instant messaging all wrapped up in one). The beauty of the whole thing is that you can find people you've lost touch with over the years. Some of them, I never wondered about, but it's fun to see all your classmates families and where they are living. In fact, B's found several of his classmates in NYC. We'll meet up with them the next time we go into the city. I have reconnected with friends I've lost touch with over the years. Just yesterday, I got a message from an old college roommate. It's addicting, and one of my friends has labeled it "Crackbook."

So, back to my discussion with the 30+ crowd. We decided as a whole that we're not too old. It's just a new medium for us to learn, and therefore, for some it's scary. It's no different than our parents having to turn on the computer. Sure, you can live without the internet, but I'm quite certain if you're reading this blog, you enjoy it.

I'm not saying everyone has to facebook. Just kindly request that you stop bashing those of us who do. Try it, you may like it :-)

With that, I rest my case.

1 comment:

Addie said...

Woo Hoo! I've been having a myspace page for a couple years now and thought I was going to have to give it up because I'm turning 30 at the end of the month! lol You are right it has been a great way to catch up with people I had lost touch with from high school and college. So keep on keeping on!