Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hump Day update

At the request of CBJ (you know who you are), I'll post. I understand that people's lives revolve around the adventurous Swindell household.

What are we doing right now? Well, Abri is sleeping on me as I type, and Lise' is anxiously awaiting the Backyardigans to come on. This can be a good thing b/c I get a break, but it can also prove to be bad. Just now, she ran for the potty only to come back to tell me she didn't make it. The TV just mesmerizes her, and she "holds it" until it's too late. Oh well, the perils of potty training.

Lise' is also keeping tabs on the sun. You see, she's quite the Daddy's girl. B leaves before she wakes up in the morning, and each and every day, she's devastated he isn't there. Somehow we make it through the day, but she knows that Daddy comes home when it gets dark. It's now dark, and he's not here. She's wondering why not.

That leads me to the van. We LOVE the van. The van has been a great car for us. It's also no secret that we didn't buy it new. In fact, I believe it has 110K miles or so on it. Anyway, B brought it to the shop this week for its checkup, and it turned out the breaks needed a little help. So, B had to go by and pay for the brake job and pick up the key so that he can then come here, pick us up, and we can all go get the car. The joys of knowing no one in town.

I should also be in the kitchen warming dinner. We eat at 6. It's now 6:11. I'm starting to wonder what is in the fridge. I do believe I have some pretty good spaghetti and meatballs along with Mexican cornbread-neither of which Lise' will eat. Hmm...choosy toddlers. Maybe a bowl of cereal will do.

Abri doesn't normally sleep this late. You see, I've been trying (unsuccessfully I might add)to get her to go nap in her own bed. She used to do it quite well. Since we've been here, it's a fight. Who knew a kid could scream for over 2.5 hrs. That was my breaking point. For now, I've given up. At the end of the day, we'd have an exhausted baby and a frazzled mommy. Not a good mix. So, B has been focusing on getting her to go to bed at night in her bed on her own. Due to the fact I've "tortured" her in the afternoons by attempting to convince her she will take a nap in her bed and be happy about it, she HATES the site of her bed. If you get close, she clamps her arms around your neck like you're throwing her to the sharks. B had done a good job though, and we want to keep up the streak. So, last night, she woke up in the wee hours of the morning, and she cried, but not long, and not loud. She eventually went back to sleep. That was until she woke up screaming this morning at 3am. The culprit...poop. Apparently, it had been there a while (probably the first waking) and had eaten through her delicate skin creating a nasty diaper rash. A little Boudreux's and Tylenol to the rescue. B and I felt so guilty,she stayed with us the rest of the night. And, her sore little bum still isn't feeling well, so I'm holding her.

BREAKING NEWS! B is home.

As for Lise', we've been PURPLE free (pacifier for those of you not in the know) for 2 weeks now. I truly didn't care if she had one. I knew she'd eventually not need it. What I hated was finding the darn things. She has an amazing skill of losing them, and B and I would pull our hair out looking for them time and time again. It just happened that her favorite kind were discontinued, and I had been telling her for months that when she lost all her purples (3) that was it. Mommy could buy no more. She finally did it, and I refused to replace it with anything. It's been a somewhat rough go, only b/c she goes to bed so well with it. The purple also kept her fingers out her mouth. Now, we're on our own, and the fingers are back in her mouth. From time to time, she asks for it too. Just yesterday, we rode in B's car, and she spotted an old one on the floor in the car. I explained that she was now a big girl, and big girls don't need a pass. She then made a declaration that she doesn't want to be 3 anymore. She's now 2.5. Her reason, 2.5 is not a big girl, and therefore, she could have the pass. Her reasoning is just too good.

Well, I hope this has satisfied your appetite. I must go whip up something fabulous in the kitchen.

Ta Ta for now.

PS..CBJ feel better soon!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ahhh.....motherhood! You describe it so well :) I love reading your blog. we had homemade gumbo today with some USG folks, made me think of you guys.