Thursday, September 30, 2010

Get those two wheels rolling


Lise' has been begging to learn to ride a bike without training wheels for a while now, but I refused to start the process in New Jersey. For starters, it was COLD this past winter. I had no desire to face the elements while trying to keep a child upright. Secondly, we had no decent place to learn to ride in our town. I knew we were moving to Florida, so I kept telling her wait until it's warm, wait until we are in Florida.

She didn't forget, and practically every day she'd ask again, "When are you ever going to teach me to ride without training wheels?" Time after time, I gave her an excuse, mostly because I felt B would be a better teacher. So the next time she asked, I told her to ask Daddy. He was going to be the one to teach her. She wouldn't leave him alone, and with a new house and lots of little things that needed attention, he too began to make excuses. That was until one night she had him backed against the wall.

The conversation went a little like this.
Lise'-"Daddy, when are you going to teach me to ride without training wheels?"
B-"later Lise'"
Lise'- "When later"
B- "After I'm done (fill in the blank)"
Lise'-"So you'll do it today?"
B- "Yes"
Lise'-"What time?"

And with that she got her first lesson of how to ride a bike without training wheels. I took a note from her that day on how to get her Daddy to commit to something.




As for Abri, she too tried that day and got the hang of it slightly. She needs more practice, and until Daddy is available again, the training wheels are staying on.

No comments: