Monday, December 8, 2008

Quite possibly the best soup I've ever had.


This past weekend, I figured it was time to put away the Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations, and that included the many pumpkins we had all around the house. First, my plan was to just scoop out the seeds and roast them, but it was cold outside, and I didn't have anything better to do, so I decided to peel and roast 4 of the sugar pumpkins (smaller ones). I had done this back in October and it was delicious. This time, I wanted some sort of pumpkin soup. I'm not a real fan of sweets in my veggie soup, so I did a recipe search. The majority of the pumpkin soups include cinnamon-that is not for me, so I kept looking. Then, I came across the recipe for Pumpkin Black Bean Soup. Love all of the above, so I printed it and got to work.

I should have heeded the warning from the recipe writer herself. She highly recommends buying the pumpkin puree in a can and going from there. But, how could I do that? I already had these 4 beautiful pumpkins begging to end their life in my soup, so I got to work. WORK it is! I peeled-yes with a veggie peeler-all four, I scraped the innards, I roasted, and I pureed. The end result was amazing in itself, but then I moved on to the rest.

I followed the recipe for the most part, but I did change a few things up. First, I had no Sherry or Sherry vinegar on hand. So, I substituted Pinot Grigio (hey, it was in the fridge) for the Sherry and omitted the vinegar all together. I also only did one teaspoon of cumin (I was fearful of an overpowering taste for the kids). The end result was no short of a "Party in your Mouth!" I wasn't even sure they'd like it, but they LOVED it! Lise' coined that name for the soup. She calls it Party Soup.

So, don't waste another minute of your life without trying this fabulous concoction!

No comments: