Saturday, March 29, 2008

Funny & cruel, but somewhat necessary

Last week sometime, B and I were watching 20/20 on a segment called "What would you do." It's where they set up a situation and then video the reaction in an effort to have you reflect on what you would do in that situation.

The one we were watching was where a woman has her purse snatched and then the bystanders try to identify the thief. Lise' watched it with us, and zeroed in on the purse snatching. Her first reaction, "hey, that man took that lady's purse." We talked about how that wasn't nice, and then rolled it into a talk about how there are some bad people in the world that do things like that. She seemed to get it, so I went a little further and told her that sometimes those people take little kids too, and that is why it's always important to listen to Mommy and not run away from me in stores (something that has been a problem lately). She seemed to get it, and I dropped the subject.

Then, last night, it resurfaced. We went out for pizza, and Lise' had to go to the potty. I took her, and it was a one roomer, so I stayed in there with her. She asked me to leave, and I told her I couldn't. She then started repeating the old conversation back to me. She asked if I had to stay b/c there were bad people in the world that take little kids. That was the reason, so I told her yes. She seemed good with that answer, and we went back to the table.

Later that night, I finished reading books to her, and we usually talk about what she would like to do the next day. She told me after she woke up, she just wanted to stay home. That's a little strange for her, but I figured she was tired from our trip and wanted to slow down a little.

Right before B put her in bed, she asked him the same thing, but told him it was
because there were bad people in the world that might take her. Ooops, guess it went a little too far, but I'd rather her be a little cautious, right?

No comments: