Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's 3:30pm and I'm still in my pjs

It's just one of those days. It's chilly, I had no where to go, so I'm still in my pjs. Lise' is too. What a day. I'd love to say that I lounged all day, but truly I haven't. With 2 kids I'm not sure that's possible. Where I'd really love to be right now is curled up with both of them in my bed for naps underneath the quilt, but it's not going to happen, so why even try. Instead, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for the move one week from today. It's not going so well. I've started the wash, I've put away most of the clothes from our trip to Louisiana last week, but there are still piles of mail and other things cluttering my kitchen counter.

It's that stuff, like coupons, that isn't something I have to keep, but maybe I'll have an urge to buy something at Bed Bath & Beyond, and then I'll really wish I had that coupon.

Then, there are other random things that enter my mind a mile a minute. I'm worried about remembering to set things aside so they don't get packed by the movers such as keys to this house, garage door openers and the like. I'm worried about remembering what to pack for the road trip to NJ. I'm worried about emptying my refrigerator in the most efficient way and remembering to empty the sugar jar so the movers won't pack it full. I'm worried about finding things when the boxes do arrive in NJ, etc. I'm just becoming a total worry wart. On top of that, with every hour that passes, I'm a little sadder to say goodbye to Tuscaloosa. When I started this post, we were down to 7 days. As soon as I finish, I'll go to bed, and when I wake up, it will be 6. It was so easy to talk about the move when we didn't have a house. Then we found one, and it was still ok b/c we hadn't closed on the house. Now B is actually in the house and ripping carpet out, and it's all very real. We're now down to the point that when the doc says I need to bring Abri in for a follow up on her reoccurring ear infection, I have to say that I can't because 10 days from now we won't be here. I can't even order Christmas presents online because I can't ship it to AL b/c I won't be here, and I don't want to send it to NJ b/c I won't be there yet. MY LIFE IS IN LIMBO!!!!!!

I know I'll be back, and I know I'll always have the friendships that were started here. I also know that New Jersey will be great, and there are great friendships ahead of me. It doesn't make it any easier though. Just know that I'm putting on a strong show here. I'm doing my best not to get emotional for me, the kids and those I have to say goodbye to. Although our time here was short, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Enough of the emotions. I'm a girl, I'm entitled!

On another note, I had an enjoyable experience tonight. With all the craziness that surrounds my life these days, it's easy to put the holidays on the back burner. Tonight though, my friend Jennifer (aka Momma Jennifer) invited me and the girls to FUMC this evening for the Hanging of the Greens Worship Service. I've been around the church for at least 6 months now, so it's not a new thing, but this service was unlike any other I have ever encountered. It wasn't stuffy, it wasn't long, it was just plain beautiful. Apparently it's an old English custom of decorating with evergreens and other items to celebrate Advent and Christmas. As each item was presented, the meaning behind that custom was read and the item was brought forward to decorate the sanctuary. By the end, the church had been transformed into a celebration of the season. I will never look at lights in a tree the same way again. Thanks Momma Jennifer!


PS, I promise I didn't wear my pj's to church :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I do know the feeling... probably just not as well as you do. It will all be fine. It always is. And I'd still be in my pj's too if I could.

Amy said...

Try not to worry too much; we've probably made every moving mistake there is and it always works out anyway :) Good luck and know that we're thinking about you.